Old Decatur
 
 
The Neighborhood of Old Decatur dates from the town’s settlement in 1820 when land taken by the federal government from the Cherokee Indians was sold at auction. Market and Bank Street were primarily business streets while the oak-lined residential area was slowly developed for homes prior to the War between the States.
 
The town was frequently occupied during the war due to the significance of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Bridge (1856) across the Tennessee River which stands today as an iron bridge. All but a handful of buildings were reduced to ashes by Union troops in 1864 while the town was evacuated. Once again, the town prospered because of its location on river, rail and highway lines and began to grow again in the 1870s.
 
The houses range in age from 1829 to the present, with most of them dating back to the late 19th century. The styles vary from the French-influenced Empire period to the Edwardian Cottage and beyond.
 
 
Other great links to our neighborhood’s history click here.
Welcome to Old Decatur